"If I could have one wish, I’d wish for a really sticky brain. That way, my thoughts might linger long enough for me to think them through. I am an over-thinker with a goldfish memory: I panic, I process, I forget, and then I panic, process, and forget the same thing over and over again. On good days, I think about how my memory makes every day feel brand new. On bad days, I dwell on the worry and stress it causes.
Artist zines, aka small DIY self-published and illustrated (maga)zines, emerged as a way to process my ever-changing thoughts, ideas, and preoccupations through visual, metaphorical, and literal stories. As a medium, illustrated zines give me the chance to unpack and solidify memory through both abstraction and representation. Zines are also meant to be distributed, and I like my audience to have copies of my work so that the memories don’t fade for them too.
These zines are printed using a risograph printer, which is a type of stencil duplicator somewhere between screen printing and photocopying. It prints just one color at a time, and I love the way it challenges me to use limited colors and overlapping techniques.
My most recent body of work focuses on the critters, crawlers, and heebie-jeebies I grew up with in southern Louisiana. I see these zines as an exorcism through color: most of my thoughts are still stuck in memory limbo, and this art practice helps me confront fear through playful stylization and color."
About the artist
Sandra Spurlock graduated from Denison University asa double major in Studio Art and Communication. Her family has 3 chickens, 1 dog, 2 cats, 1 big red barn, 1 solar-powered house, and what might be considered "big hippy energy." When Sandra was in middle school, she used to perform with university operas, and in her free time she liked to play “Hide-and-Scare-Customers” in the sets of her grandparent’s historical wax museum. Now that she's older, her hobbies include crochet, basket-weaving, underwater basket-weaving, and audiobooks.
Denison University• email@example.com
Denison University, Granville, OH
Bachelor of Arts, Communication; Studio Art
Honors: Lambda Pi Eta (Communication Honorary Society)
Expected Graduation: May 2021
Merit Scholarships: Denison Alumni Award 2017-2021, Harold Osborne Scholarship 2019-2020 (Performance-based competition), Jean Vail Scholarship 2019-2020 (Performance-based competition)
Denison MIX Gallery- Granville, OH //January 2019- Spring 2020
• Organized and coordinated gallery exhibitions with visiting and student artists
• Managed gallery events including food, drinks, music, vinyl, photography, and technology needs. • Developed and maintained the gallery’s social media presence and promotion, including a Word Press website, Instagram, Facebook, and Flickr.
• Installed, de-installed, and preserved maintenance of the space.
Art Gallery Intern
The Works: Ohio Center for History, Art & Technology- Newark, OH // Summer 2020
Learned skills in problem solving, adaptation, and flexibility in a work environment as the Museum reopened during the COVID pandemic
Wrote gallery panel texts and helped install the a show on Clarence White and the Newark Camera Club
Creative Graphics Internship
CBD Marketing- Chicago, IL //Summer 2018
• Designed illustrations for annual online publication of Words of Wisdom from Kick-Ass Women: Vol. III
• Collaborated with 8 members of the creative marketing team to plan and brainstorm for new and upcoming projects
Denison University- Granville, OH //August 2017-Fall 2020
• Assisted students and professor in the University sculpture studio. Organized and maintained studio DRAWING DEPARTMENT
• Assisted students and professor in the University drawing studio. Organized and maintained studio TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
• Assisted students and professor in the University drawing studio. Organized and maintained studio SCULPTURE DEPARTMENT
• Assisted students and professor in the University drawing studio. Organized and maintained studio RISOGRAPH PRINTER
Leadership Backpacking Expedition
National Outdoor Leadership School- Wind River Mountains, WY//Summer 2018
• Backpacked for 30 days in the Wind River Mountains on an educational course focused on outdoor and leadership skills such as communication, decision making, and risk management.
Graphic Design Study Abroad Program
DIS Study Abroad in Scandinavia- Copenhagen, Denmark // Summer 2019
• Studied graphic design through a two-month graphic design intensive course focusing on visual identity, branding, graphic sensibilities, and project-based studio assignments